Thursday, July 21, 2016

Chicken Fried Steak - Talk About a World Turned Upside Down

Chicken Fried Steak: is all about a tough cut of beef being cooked in such away that it is tasty.

My Father-in-Law was a Texan. So it only follows that this pure comfort food was part of my wife's life..
We have it once in awhile and today is the day.
I looked at the cheap cuts, they were $15 plus a kilo. Crazy! So what are we doing. We are using some great porterhouse that we bought on sale for $10.00 a kilo.  It is delicious steak and when grilled is perfect, but tonight it is going to be pounded, coated and cooked in oil.
Tomorrow I'll let you know how it turned out. One secret we use is to blot the steak with a paper towel before coating. Really makes a difference.If you have a secret to great chicken fried or country fried steak leave a comment below.


The Results
Well,  using the porterhouse steak worked well. It was very good. Next time we are in the mood for this Southern US sensation we will finish it off with a slice of pecan pie.
The recipe and method for this Chicken Fried Steak will appear on our Youtube channel before the end of the year.

2 comments:

  1. I look at this chicken fried steak and think wow that looks good. The steak looks like it is crispy but not overdone. The spuds look creamy and the gravy looks thick and creamy. Even the green beans seem to be the perfect vegetable. But the color just looks wrong. I think you might be a great cook but you should look at adding more light or maybe making some adjustments to your camera.
    Don't get me wrong. I say this to help.
    I hope you have a long and successful blog. I like the name. What made you come up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,
    Thank you for the comment. I think you are right on the colour in the photo. It does look off.
    I now have some nice lights for videos and photos. I hope they will help. If it doesn't I'm going to be checking with my "camera guy" friends and try to get some help.
    Like most good things coming up with the name was easy. My granddaughter was over at the house. It was lunch time so I reached for a pack of frozen Burrito Beef that I had made up a few weeks ago. We had a great lunch and she said. "Grandpa, I love when you do cooking. Almost everyone in our family cooks good, but your food is always a little bit different, and good. You should put it on YouTube. Well here I am: Youtube, a blog and a facebook page.

    ReplyDelete