Saturday, July 15, 2017

Chicken & Sliders - A Special Comfort Food




Time for Food That Sticks to Your Ribs
It's July in Queensland, and the cooler weather is here. Nice to be away from the heat for a while. It’s also great to have the comfort food that winter brings. Food that puts a smile on your face while it fills your tummy.

Chicken and sliders is one of my favourite winter foods. It even smells great while it is being cooked. When I make this my kitchen looks like my grandma’s. Cutting board out,  Stockpot boiling, platter of chicken meat, the flour, and rolling pin for making noodles.
When it is done you have some succulent pieces of chicken mixed with thick noodles and a creamy smooth chicken broth.  

Don’t Let Making the Noodles Scare You
No need for a pasta machine or special skills. Just some flour, a couple of eggs and a rolling pin. Oh yeah, you can't have a phobia related to flour on your clothes.
Don't worry about dusting on flour to allow you to roll the dough into noodle thinness. In this recipe, the excess flour will help thicken the stock.

Watch the video below and see how easy it is

Where Did the Recipe Come From?
I spent my first 13 years in Brooklyn, New York. That’s where I had my first taste of this treat.  Winter always meant snow and snow meant fun and great body warming meals.
One of my boyhood friends was from Nova Scotia, Canada. Sometimes we ate at each other’s house. Once, after spending the day shoveling snow, his mom cooked this up.
What a great day. We earned some money shoveling snow and I got my first taste of this French Canadian treat. Steve’s mother was the only person I knew who cooked it; so when I moved to California I pretty much forgot all about it.


Fast Forward Fifty Years
A few winters back my wife said, “this is chicken soup weather”. I agreed, but I wanted something more substantial than soup. It brought the chicken and sliders to mind.
I spent some time searching the net recipes. The one that seemed to be the closest was from www.allrecipes.com. I just made a few changes to get the look and the taste I remembered.
For the last few years this has been one of our winter favourites.




Recipe:
Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, about 1 ½ to 2 kg (3 or 4 pounds).
Enough water to cover the chicken by an inch or so
2 onions, cut into quarters
3 stalks of celery cut into 2-3cm pieces (1 inch or so)
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste.  I usually start with 1 ½ tsp of salt, and a few twist on the pepper grinder. I taste and adjustwhen finishing the cooking.

For the Noodles:
2 eggs
4 cups of flour
Some of the stock from the cooked chicken ( I reserve about 2 cups, I start with a 1/3 of a cup and if the dough is too dry I add some more a  TBS at a time.

What if my stock is too thin and runny?

Ans: You could add more flour, but it would be better to use corn startch / called corn flour in Australia. Cornflour will thicken your stock and is pretty much flavorless.
Best way to add it is as follows:
In a bowl or cup, Mix 2 TBS with About 4 TBS of water.  Stir until evenly blended. Then add it to the pot. Stir in, and bring to a, near, boil. Best to stir in about 1/3 at a time so you don't over thicken.

Please feel free to add a comment, opinion or ask a question.  If you don’t have a blogger account you can sign in as anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment