Friday, June 9, 2017

Very Versatile Pulled Pork Slow Cooker Recipe

Two weeks back I got a good buy on some pork shoulder. Cole's (an Australian Supermarket) had it on sale at $6.50 per kg. I have paid up to $10.00 a kg so this was a good savings.
We decided to have some pulled pork. I didn't have time to smoke it so I used the old stand-by the slow cooker. It will never taste as good as smoked, but it still makes for a great meal.

There is only me and, my sweetie, Helen so the 2.5kg was going to supply a few meals. Not wanting to be tied down to one type of pork; I decided to just use a simple rub for the slow cooking.

The idea was that after cooking in the crock pot I would divide into, one meal size, servings and freeze it. When we defrosted and reheated we would use different sauces and additional spices to change the taste.

We used some with BBQ sauce for BBQ pork sandwiches, served them with baked beans and coleslaw. We mixed  some with my American chilli powder and salsa and made pork burritos and quesadillas. Some, we left with just the basic rub and a little bit of the cooking juice and used for Toasted cheese and pork sandwiches (grilled cheese sandwiches for my American friends).

The all tasted great and were simple to make.




Cooking Instructions:
Mix the Rub
Simple Sugar Free Pork Rub
·       6 teaspoons of paprika, use sweet, or Hungarian, if you want to add a bit of a smokey taste use smoked paprika. Don’t use  hot.
·       3 teaspoons of ground black pepper.  freshly ground is best.
·       2 teaspoons of garlic powder
·       1 teaspoon of onion powder
·       6 teaspoons of salt. use less if you are using kosher salt.
·       1 teaspoon of cayenne.  You can alter the amount of cayenne to suit, you could even eliminate it if you wish.

Wipe the pork with a paper towel
Trim as necessary
Cut it into sizes that will fit in your slow cooker
Drizzle some oil ( I used olive) on the meat and spread it around
Sprinkle your rub on the pork and spread it around, getting into the nooks and crannies. Make sure you get it on the sides and edges, even on the skin or fat cap
Slice and quarter 2 onions
Put the 8 pieces in the bottom of the slow cooker
Put the pork on top of the onions
Put the lid on your slow-cooker
Turn on the cooker
You meat should be ready in 6 to 8 hours.

When it is done
Remove the meat from the cooker and shred with a pair of forks.


Suggestion: remove the liquid from the slow cooker. Put in a container and leave in fridge overnight. The next day remove the fat and pour some of the liquid on the pork to keep it moist.
I then dived the pork into servings for 2 and freeze.
When I reheat it I add appropriate spices and/or sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment