Thursday, November 2, 2017

Wanted Breakfast Cook, No Experience Needed. Fully Paid 10 Minute Training Period



Head says coffee, stomach says breakfast

Have you ever had one of those mornings?

You wake up feeling hungry, you don’t have too much time before you have to leave the house.

Your head is saying, "No Time, Got To Get Going", but your stomach is not agreeing. It wants you to have some protein, some carbs, and a bit of fat. It wants to make sure you last until lunch time.

How About This For Quick & Simple

Some Eggs
Tortilla Chips
Grated Cheese
Splash of Olive Oil
1 Pan to Cook Them All


The last time I cooked this it took 5 minutes and 14 seconds, and I even grated the cheese. I will admit, I had the ingredients on the bench top before starting.

The ingredient amounts are flexible; vary the amounts to suit you. For 2 people I normally use
1 TBS olive oil
1 Large hand full of CC's Tortilla Chips
4 Large eggs
30 g of grated cheese
Salt and pepper to taste.

In Mexico this recipe is called migas, although they would use left over corned tortillas rather than corn chips. 


Forget the Name, It Can Be Confusing
It is confusing, because the same word means a totally different dish in Spain. The Portuguese version is similar, but different to the Spanish version. 
Mexico City
Even within Mexico the word can be confusing. In Mexico City migas is more of a soup.
Tex-Mex

The Tex-Mex, or Americanized version will have other things added like garlic, onion and peppers.
I reckon they all taste good, but the version I presenting here is quick and easy, but still taste great.



Grandpa's Mojave Eggs
I'll Call This (my version) Grandpa's Mojave Eggs. I'm pretty sure I was in the Mojave Desert the first time I made these. We didn't have any tortillas, but had some left over corn chips, we figured they would work and they did.  Refrigeration was limited so there was no cheese. They still tasted great, and filled our bellies. 


This is a great recipe to start your children or grandchildren on. Supervise them, but there is nothing difficult about this, no hot liquids, and only one pan. My grandson was capable of this when he was about 11, although his mom supervised until she was sure he could do it.
Also a good one for any young people who moved out of the parent's house and are getting tired of take away.



Knowing How To Cook Is a Dying Art


Knowing how to prepare a meal in an important life-skill. Teach your children to cook
Let you children cook with you. It will help them in life
I was about 13 when I had to take over the cooking duties at home. My Mom, Grandma and other relatives taught me a lot, Knowing how to cook is a great thing. It helps in feeling independent and capable.


If you want less processed food in your life this is a start. If you want to step up the game make your own corn tortillas; they are pretty easy to make. Slice them and fry them up; like in this post
Grandpa's Huevos Rancheros. If making your own is too much use store bought corn tortillas.  I mention a good brand in the Huevos Rancheros post.

This recipe is like a blank canvas. You can add and subtract. You can experiment and make it yours
If you are more comfortable with less fat you can have it without cheese. I had it that way many times and it is still nice.
Some avocado on the side is great. Think of adding some onion, peppers, a bit of Mexican Chorizo, or even just seasoned ground/mince meat. Mushrooms would be great.  Use your imagination. 
I lightened the color of the above paragraph because I want us to remember, this is basically a peoples recipe. Don't get too fancy. Celebrate and enjoy it for what it is: an easy to cook tasty, inexpensive meal that carries you over until the next meal. 


Thank You For Stopping By
Grandpa










No comments:

Post a Comment