Monday, October 16, 2017

Huevos Rancheros Recipe - Eggs, Tortillas, Beans, Great Sauce & Cheese – Make this Super Breakfast Any Time of the Day

After you eat these you’re going to think, “I just had the greatest breakfast ever, and there wasn’t any bacon”. Huevos Rancheros is That kind of meal. 


Learn to make Huevos Rancheros. This classic Mexican egg dish was created to feed hungry, hardworking vaqueros (cowboys).






A crisp freshly cooked tortilla. Layered with a rich tasting sauce, refried beans, fried egg and cheese.




Delicious – Nutritious – Energy Packed - Comfort Food
Low GI - Low Fat - Gluten Free
 This Mexican egg dish fits the above description. When you see it on the plate your eyes say, “Man look at this, oh yeah”. The ingredients just go together so well. You walk away satisfied and happy. You know this meal ticked all the boxes.



Tortillas
Use only corn tortillas. Homemade is best, but take time. Buying them is OK. I make my own about half of time and use store bought when I don’t.  Best to buy at a tortilleria if there is one nearby, or a local Mexican grocery store. For those of us living in Australia I have listed some sources at the end of the post.
But You Fried the Tortillas in Oil
I know, but it is healthy. I started with 1 cup of olive oil

When fried, I placed the tortillas on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
When I was done cooking 4 tortillas; I emptied the oil back into a cup. It took only 5 teaspoons to replace oil that was used. I figured that 1/2 teaspoon had been spilled and 1/2 teaspoon was absorbed on the paper towels.
So, each tortilla would have 1 teaspoon of olive oil. That is not much oil and it is heart smart olive oil. Probably better then buttering a slice of toast.


Refried Beans
Better, tastier and cheaper to make your own, but I wouldn’t hesitate to heat up some canned ones; rather than miss out on this special treat. Black beans or pinto beans seem to be the best to use

Eggs
Fried eggs; sunny side up or over easy; a runny yoke is nice. I reckon poached eggs would be ok

Ranchero Sauce
Best to make your own; it is easy, but you can buy some jarred Mexican Cooking Sauce, Ranchero Sauce (if you can find it), Enchilada Sauce, or Salsa.


Finding Quality
Corn Tortillas in Australia
Where do I buy good corn tortillas
Not in your major supermarkets, that's for sure

For years I have been making my own; I recommend that and will make a video someday, 
but I always like to have a package in the pantry or freezer. You know, for those times I want to cook something nice but don’t want to re-invent the wheel.


A few months back I found some really good ones. Much nicer than the ones you find in major grocery stores. These are really good. They match anything I was ever able to buy in Californian local Mexican grocery stores.

They make me think of camping at Punta Diggs  on the Sea of Cortes. A little bit of fishing and cooking up some fish tacos. 

I use Diego’s GoMEX® Corn Tortillas. They are made by a tortilla factory right on the Gold Coast I buy mine at a local shop in Capalaba but there are plenty of shops that stock them.
In fact you can even order them on line.

It might be good to call the location suggested just to make sure they carry the Tortillas





I hope you enjoy Grandpa’s Huevos Rancheros. Cook them for someone you love.


If you have any questions of comments just leave them below. You don't have to sign in. When it ask Comment As, select anonymous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment